Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Imitation, the sincerest form of flattery

Oh distractability and imitation, what big roles you play in the life of a preschooler! O is one of our three year olds, but because she's so articulate she seems older. She also attended a Montessori toddler program before coming to our school and so the idea of choosing work, working at it, and then putting it back was pretty well instilled in her already.

However she's still got some big obstacles to overcome in the area of self control. O is one of those children who will see someone else do something, hear an adult tell them not to, and then repeat it herself. Very frustrating as a teacher, well at least for me. I can handle it when the children copy each other, even if it's not the best behavior. But as soon as I explain to them that it's unacceptable it really pushes my buttons to have a child (who I know heard that message) commence the same behavior. I'm trying really hard not to let O know this....but I'm not sure I'm succeeding.

Unfortunately for me one of O's best friends, E, is quite prone to bouncy, loud behaviors. Unfortunately for O her friend is much better at regaining control of her behavior, so even though E will start the chasing in the classroom, it's O who ends up getting the reinforcement for how to walk because she can't get herself under control as quickly.

Perfect example. While getting ready for nap today both E and O were in the bathroom at the same time. A bad combination that I saw coming and reminded both of them to keep their voices down before they even walked over the threshold. Yeah, no such luck. Another teacher was keeping an eye on them while I helped the last slowpoke hang up her snowpants and jacket. By the time I saw the two of them again there was some pretty loud giggling and quick feet in the hallway.

At this point in the year all I had to do was give them 'the look', asking without any words if they thought they were behaving properly. E immediately clammed up, and slowed her dancing feet enough to walk to the nap room door and remove her shoes. O on the other hand kept snorting as she tried to stop giggling and I had to verbally remind her to walk. Luckily they were separated for the actual nap time, since O naps in the coat room to keep her from disturbing the others. I doubt either of them would have slept if they had gone into the darkened nap room together that keyed up. As it was, all by herself O took a good five minutes to quiet down and begin looking at the books she had chosen for nap.

Yeah, these shirts would be so appropriate for O and E!

No comments:

Post a Comment