Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Explanations

How exactly do you explain "jury duty' to preschoolers?

Anybody? Ideas? Anyone?

After sitting around for over 2 hours this morning just to be dismissed from fulfilling my "civic duty" I came back just in time for half-day dismissal. A bunch of happy, bouncy kids completed my greeting back and then they began hitting me with the tough question-

"Where were you?"

"Um...." How do you explain jury duty to that age group? I was caught a bit flat footed by this (not sure why I didn't expect it!) and started off just saying "I had to go to the courthouse". But all that got me was the further question "Why?" So I told them that I had gone to try and help some people make a decision, but they didn't need me to so I got to come back. That pretty much settled the matter with the Children's House. Though one older boy, M, was a bit more concerned, it seemed like he thought that HE might have to go and do jury duty.

The elementary students were a lot more curious, asking some good questions. Luckily since they already knew what a jury and court were about, it made my explanation a lot easier! But I guess you have to start learning somewhere. I wonder if we have any future lawyers or judges in our school?



No comments:

Post a Comment