Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Importance of precious things

"C why don't you choose which book you'd like me to read and I'll carry our special reading mat." It took a little bit to convince C that one book, not two, was all we needed, but eventually she made a choice and we set out to find a spot on the carpet to read about the day in the life of a police officer.

I don't think I was even 3 pages in before the entire class was gathered around, listening. They had even all put their work back on the shelf before joining us, score! Everyone sat relatively still and quiet as I read. I'm slowly introducing the idea that we don't talk during stories. It's a tricky balance because I do want them to ask questions about what is being read, but at the same time it isn't ok for each of them to interrupt and say they've seen a police officer (especially since when one child says it they ALL feel the need to say it!).

Still though, they really enjoy being read to and were all eager to stick around for a second book. I gave the first book to one child to return and chose another to pick out a new one. Meanwhile C did one of the sweetest things I saw today. She noticed that our little reading mat had gotten a bit rumpled from someones foot and reach out to smooth it back down. When she finished she gave it a little pat and sat back, a smile on her face.

That is why I have made so many things for the classroom. ...ok so I didn't make the reading mat (thanks mom!) but the principle is the same. But it's not just the having of lovely objects that makes the classroom special, it's how the children are introduced to them.

I didn't just take the reading mat out one day and roll it on the floor. No, I carried it slowly and carefully with the children watching. I told them how my mother had made this special mat for our classroom to read books at. I made sure to unroll it with very deliberate motion, smoothing it as I went along. I pointed the little book icon on it to the children, telling them again that it was a special mat for reading. Then, and only then did I gently place the book upon it.

It's not enough just to have these things. If children don't' know that we value things, why should they?


No comments:

Post a Comment