Sunday, November 2, 2014

Montessori Sunday: Celebrating Holidays

Ok, so how to celebrate  a holiday isn't exactly a Montessori material in any regard, but it is something that is approached a bit differently and since I didn't get to talk about our 'visitor' on Friday I'll do it now. There usually aren't 25+ copies of the same art project made by the children displayed around the classroom. Bulletin boards aren't updated with the usual holiday colors. Though there are some similarities though that seem prevalent in every preschool environment. Special songs and stories surrounding the season are shared with the children. Also, the diversity of holidays (especially around the winter season) is introduced with the idea of exposing children to many different points of view.

Here's how our All Hallow's Eve 'party' went as an example. Our class has spent two days preparing a jack-o-lantern. The children helped gut the pumpkin, then sorted the seeds from the flesh to save for a snack. The next day they each drew a part of the jack-o-lanterns face and I carved it out. I also set the seeds out on a table to dry and the children were very excited to remember that they were going to be our snack on Halloween.

On the day of Halloween I waited for all the children to arrive before asking them to put their work away and wash their hands for a special snack. While they did so I darkened the room. Together we passed out napkins and the roasted seeds, as well as some warm apple cider from our Fall Festival the weekend before. The children were very careful with being allowed to eat on the carpeting and were very careful and neat with their snack.

I lit the pumpkin and read one of my favorite Halloween stories, "The little old lady who wasn't afraid of anything." The children munched on their pumpkin seeds and enjoyed their apple cider as the jack-o-lantern flickered and I read the silly story to them. They were so attentive and well behaved that I wish I had a video of the event. When I finished the story the candle was blown out the children who were done took care of their dishes and napkins before getting back to work. They all agreed they wanted the Jack-o-Lantern to visit our classroom for the rest of the morning so I left him out for them to admire at leisure. Then I sat and enjoyed my own snack with the stragglers and that was it. That was our entire Halloween.


There was no big hoopla about candy. No tears and uncontainable excitement around costumes. Just a peaceful snack with friends and a silly story in a slightly spooky setting. Then they were done and over it. I didn't hear another word about Halloween for the rest of the morning. They were content with what we had. I only hope we can do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment