Monday, August 11, 2014

Hooray for Parent Volunteers!

Our school has been undergoing some major transitions over the past 6 months, most of it stressful. One of the more minor points (in the overall scheme of things, though it feels major to me) was the lack of shelving in my classroom. With only one children's house last year we cannibalized the second classroom, taking the best of the materials and some shelving units to use. Honestly it makes sense, why store something perfectly good when you could be using it?

But what it led to was me being assigned to re-open a classroom that was short a few shelving units, and those that were available were probably as old as I am! But of course in the mess of transition to a new head of school and waiting for him to come in to the country to begin working, this minor issue got pushed to the wayside.

So when our second summer session started up last week I was getting pretty nervous about actually getting my shelving in time. Then some parents got involved. Two who had really been advocating for me to get the supplies I needed stepped up to bring this to the attention of our new head of school. A couple of days later one of them comes in to my room and asks what dimensions I want because they're just going to build them. So I happily give him my specifications, thinking at least I'd have my shelves before school started.

He dropped of half of them 2 days later. He would have had all of them done, but the store was out of Oak. I'd barely had time to admire them before another parent volunteered to take them home and polyurethane them. Awesome! Now I'll only have to wait like another week to start putting things on them.

Nope. They came back Monday morning, all ready to be set up.

Note to self, parents can be the best of help...even if they're not your own!

(picture of my awesome new shelves to come soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment